Getting Your CNA License: Main Requirements and Tips
Once you get CNA license, you receive the right to practice legally the profession of a nursing assistant. This professional occupation has gained a lot of popularity lately because of the financial and the emotional rewards connected to it. Before you can begin working as a nursing assistant, however, you will have to undergo a CNA course and examination that will provide you with the license necessary for this professional niche. Here is everything that you need to know in order to get CNA license quickly and efficiently.
Requirements Needed to Get a CNA License
You need to understand the prerequisites and the requirements connected to CNA licensing. Although some of these vary from state to state, the general specifics that will let you get CNA license remain the same. Here is the list of the things that you will have to consider before starting the procedure:
1. You need to be aged at least 18 to start the CNA licensing procedure.
2. Your criminal record has to be clear for you to get CNA license.
3. You need to have valid identity documents.
4. Each state licenses certified nursing assistants on its own. Explore the local requirements.
5. You will have to complete a 75-hour training program approved by the state.
6. Usually, the state will require 100 hours of clinical rotation and practical experience.
7. You will have to pass a CNA licensure exam.
These are the major stages of the certification process. Doing some research in advance will help you get prepared and complete all of the steps that will determine the outcome of the certification process. Being familiar with state regulations and choosing a certified, high quality course will help you achieve your goal and get CNA license quickly and efficiently.
Get CNA License through Training Program Selection
The selection of the best CNA training course is the first step. Once you are done with it, you will have to get some clinical experience and you will need to go through an exam. The training program is the first and most crucial decision you will have to make when you try to get CNA license. How do you recognize a good CNA course? First of all, the program has to be licensed by your state. Next, explore the study topics included in the curriculum. A good CNA training course, whether taking place in a class or online, should focus on hygienic technique and proper patient care, safety measures, preventive care, infection prevention and patient observation techniques. During the course, you will learn all of the proper procedures that will be needed for the successful passing of the CNA exam. Choosing a good course will be determining for your ability to get CNA license. Start from there and once you complete the course, you will be capable of moving on to the next step of the licensing process.
Clinical Experience is Needed to Get CNA License
Some people underestimate the importance of clinical experience but it is yet another prerequisite if you want to get a CNA license. Go through state regulations to find out how many hours of clinical experience you will be requiring. Typically, states require 100 hours but sometimes the figure may be different. Most nursing homes offer training options for CNA license candidates. This part of the training process will be very beneficial because the nursing home will provide you with some practical experience that you will keep on using throughout your certified nursing assistant career. You can also rely on the Red Cross when you are trying to get a CNA license. It offers one of the best training programs and its facilities are available in nearly every city. Before selecting another option that will let you get CNA license, you should certainly give the Red Cross a try. The practical experience gained will be determining for your success during the practical part of the licensing exam.
Special Circumstances and Conditions to Get CNA License
Once you pass the CNA exam, you will get CNA license. When this happens, you will be free to start working as a certified nursing assistant. People that need to renew their license or individuals that are uncertain of the training course’s validity, will have to submit a set of documents needed for the verification of the CNA license. For license verification, you will need:
1. A valid ID document
2. The copy of your current CNA license
3. Evidence of deposited verification fees
You will discover information about the verification procedure online. Each state has an institution that is responsible for the process and you can call to learn everything that you need in order to get CNA license validated. If you decide to relocate from one state to another, you will once again have to verify your license. In this instance, you will need:
1. A valid ID document
2. Social security number
3. The CNA certificate you have received from the state where you applied
4. Your employment history
5. Evidence of the training courses you have completed
6. A background check
Once again, it is important to understand that the CAN license transfer requirements and the prerequisites that matter when you are trying to get CNA license vary from one state to another. Inquiring in advance is the best way to make sure that your license will be validated or transferred, giving you an opportunity to begin working immediately.
The decision to get CNA license is determining for your professional future because it can open many doors. Once you become a certified nursing assistant, you will be free to begin working in facilities for assisted living, nursing homes, intermediate healthcare centers, medical centers and foster homes. This work offers attractive remuneration, as well as fulfillment. You will be helping individuals suffering from different conditions to enjoy their lives, a professional occupation that is connected to incredible personal and career-related fulfillment. The procedure needed to get CNA license is far from complex and you will need only a couple of months to complete it. Study the state requirements carefully and choose the best training program. This is the most important prerequisite for the success of your certification efforts.
- Purdue University Global
- Experience world-class education online: Purdue Global offers 180 programs at associate's, bachelor's, master's and doctoral levels.
- Bachelors of Science in Nursing - RN to BSN
- Accelerated BSN to MSN
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Registered Nurse to Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- Practical Nursing
- And more...
There are a lot of reasons Bryant & Stratton College is the place to get an education. From the personal attention you receive from instructors that stay after class to make sure you are on the right track.
- BS Nursing Generalist
- AAS/ADN Nursing
- AAS Medical Assisting
Making the decision to earn your degree and pursue your career goals could be the best decision you ever make. Enroll at ECPI University and you’ll join a collaborative and fostering learning environment, surrounded by faculty and staff who are there to support you through the entire process.
What sets ECPI University apart? Just ask the employers who hire our graduates. Since 1966, more than 3,800 employers have looked to ECPI for talented professionals who are capable of entering the workplace and doing the job right on the very first day. That’s because our curriculum is designed to meet the needs of today’s highly-specialized job market.
What Are You Waiting For?
- Nursing (RN) - Associate's
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- B.S. in Nursing (Registered Nurse - R.N. to B.S.N)
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- Bachelors of Science in Nursing - RN to BSN
- Medical Assisting
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Medical Assisting-Concentration in Clinical Support
- Medical Assisting Diploma
The Metropolitan Institute of Health and Technology (MIHT) is dedicated to educating men and women to serve with confidence in the health and technology industry. MIHT provides career training for students to move forward in their chosen field of study, changing their lives for the better. MIHT strives to provide quality education with affordable tuition. Our staff works to determine the best financial options for students on an individualized level.
- Clinical Medical Assisting
- RN to BSN
CTU could help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional community, faculty who are real-world professionals, and innovative technology. And several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News & World Report for Best Online Programs in 2017.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN completion)